Thursday, June 24, 2010

My child is getting her Tonsils out on Thursday, How is this all going to work? Am I freaking out for nothing?

My daugther is 3 and has been in speach theorpy for 18 months. I switched to a different speech theorpist about a month and a half ago. She told me that my daugther never had a speech problem, her tonsils are to big for her throat. Not one doctor has figured this out. It's upseting to know that her regular doctor over looked this EVERYTIME we went to her office. So now we are scheduled for surgery this week and I don't know how to feel.My child is getting her Tonsils out on Thursday, How is this all going to work? Am I freaking out for nothing?
it will be ok i got my tonsils out it will be fineMy child is getting her Tonsils out on Thursday, How is this all going to work? Am I freaking out for nothing?
I wish I could tell you more, but having her tonsils removed should be a very easy process. It's one of the more simple procedures. The fact that your daughter is only 3 is good too, because she should recover pretty quickly. I hope that it helps her speech as well.
My son had a hernia that his regular doctor didn't see. Then we changed doctors and the new doctor caught it right off and my son had to go in for surgery. He was 2 at the time. Most surgeries they are in and out the same day. I wouldn't worry too much she will be in good hands it is a very routine surgery.
My son had his tonsils out when he was 6, he's 17 now. You can expect a few days of her lying on the couch being miserable----then bored!





At first you'll have to only give cold stuff---I made special milkshakes----buy ice cream and milk and syrups and have fun expermenting. Just remember, she won't feel like drinking alot at any one time the first day or so. Pudding will be good too.





After a day or so you can move onto other soft foods--we did mashed postatoes with the gravy from the powder mix b/c it's not lumpy--again--a little will go a long way.





Then you go to jello and so on--





You can keep her spirits up by letting her know what big girl she is and how this is really a great thing b/c she will never get to eat so many desserts for lunch and dinner again!!!





Be sure to stock up on new coloring books and brand new crayons for when she gets bored. You might also want to try to find other things that she can do on the couch--maybe now would be good time for her to practice colors and simple counting with a brand new game--CANDYLAND! YOu can prepare for the surgery by going out a day or so before and buying these things together. Then she'll ahve something to look forward to after the surgery, although I doubt it eases her fears when the time comes.





Just keep it upbeat and fun---and let her know it's ok to rest and remember to be sympathtic with her when she's fussy. And yes--don't let the pain meds wear off!





As for you mom, enjoy the time bonding with your little one. Go to bed each night (ready to wake up at any given time) and pat yourself on the back for being the best cheerleader and milkshake maker ever!





Good luck!
I had mine out when I was 15. Obviously that's very different from three, but wasn't that bad. The only recommendation I would make is to make sure you give her her pain meds around the clock even if you have to wake her up to give them to her. Otherwise she will really be in pain. Just expect not to get anything done for a few days because you'll have to be with her and entertain her- she probably won't feel up to much more than reading stories and coloring for awhile, though she should be able to get up and go to the bathroom. Drinking might hurt but just encourage her to drink often- the less often you do it the more it hurts. And try to give her cold drinks, maybe something a little thicker makes it easier too (like a smoothie instead of juice). I lived on chocolate milk and Boston Market mashed potatoes for a week after I got my tonsils out. Give her whatever soft thing she'll eat.
You may be fixing two birds with one stone, if that is the case and it is the problem with her speech. You will be getting it corrected and she will be good to go to school with no self esteem issues, and while she is at school all the kids with tonsillitis will be no concern for her. I am sure it will be a rough week for both of you, but better to get them done young.
I had my tonsils out and everything went just fine. Buy lots of popsicles and ice cream for her. That sure helped me!
Just feel glad that it was picked up now and not further down the line.


Your daughter will be in good hands when this happens, so as hard as it is, you shouldn't worry about what's going to happen.





I know it's hard to accept this, but doctors are only human and they too make mistakes- it's unfortunte though, because their mistakes can cost lives as I almost found out at the weekend, but that's another story...





Relax, and yell at your doctors later!
You should speak to the people who are doing the surgery and ask if you will be allowed to go down to the theatre with your daughter until they knock her out. I did that with my son when he had to have teeth out. They didnt let me with my daughter when she had her tonsils removed as she was 16. If you can be there until she is asleep it is less traumatic for the child. It is however a lot more traumatic for the mum and a bit scary when they do knock your child out and you have to walk away. But then thats a mums job to be there. She will have a very sore throat for a number of days and will want her mum there when she wakes up. I would also try and arrange for you to be allowed to sleep in the room with your daughter if the hospital allows this. Good luck anyway
Make sure the doctor has a lot of experience at this, when he snips the tonsils and uses the vacuum to suck them out along with the adenoids sometimes on little kids brains come with it if he cut in the wrong place.
I went thru this with 3 kids!!! very easy---don't let the pain meds wear off!!!!!
Went through this with my then 3 year old daughter back in April. Went smoothly. Try to get a EARLY surgery time cause she will want to eat but won't be able to and she won't understand why mom's not feeding her today...lol...The surgery is quick...my daughter was in and out of surgery in less than 30 minutes due to the lasers they use now...not like when I had mine taken out and it took a good hour. The first day is EASY!!! Just give her the pain meds every 4-6 hours and she'll sleep most of the day. The second through the fourth day or so are the bad ones...Make sure to give her her meds on time those days or you will have a very cranky little girl. After 4-5 days (usually) she'll be back to her normal sweet self. My daughter has done 100 times better since she had hers removed. She had reoccurent Scarlet Fever so we opted to have her tonsils removed and nothing since. Plus she doesn't snore anymore because of the adnoidectomy.
First of all....the younger the better for tonsils.....Younger kids seem to recover much faster and have few complications....I am not a doctor but have seen many people who have had tonsils removed..pop cicles will help a lot.......Anyways....as far as you doc missing them....That is not good...but at the same time, if you are not specifally looking for something like that it would be easy to miss until you little one started talking and someone who deals with that every day sees it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection